There are a lot of choices to make when it comes to purchasing a new patio umbrella. Not only must you decide on the brand and style of your new patio umbrella, but another important decision you will have to make is what canopy fabric to go with. Two of our most popular fabrics at the Patio Umbrella Store are Sunbrella and O’Bravia. They are both popular, trusted brands known for their high-quality canopy fabrics.
Below is a quick breakdown of Sunbrella and O’Bravia canopy fabrics.
Sunbrella Canopy Fabric
Sunbrella is recognized for its durable and fade-resistant fabrics that are designed to withstand various weather conditions and chemical exposure. The fabric is made from acrylic fibers that are color dyed and spun into yarns which are later woven into the Sunbrella fabric we know and love.
Sunbrella’s patented technology allows its fabrics to be water-repellent, mold and mildew resistant, and easy to clean. They offer a wide range of color options and patterns to suit any aesthetic preference.
O’Bravia Canopy Fabric
O’Bravia is another patented canopy fabric that boasts the ideal choice for “value, comfort, strength, and durability.” They are known for their excellent colorfastness, UV resistance, and water repellency. They are also resistant to mold, mildew, and staining – making them a low-maintenance option for outdoor use.
O’Bravia offers a variety of design choices with many colors and patterns to choose from.
Sunbrella vs O’bravia fabrics:
When comparing Sunbrella and O’Bravia canopy fabrics, both offer exceptional quality and durability, however there are a few factors that can help you determine which is the best choice for you.
- Recognition: Sunbrella is a trusted brand in the outdoor fabric industry with a proven track record for quality and dependability since the 1960s. On the other hand, O’Bravia is a relatively newer company, originally founded in 2006, that has gained traction in the industry for its performance and value.
- Fabric Composition: Sunbrella fabric is woven from acrylic fibers while O’Bravia is made up of polyester fibers. Does this make a huge difference? Potentially. Due to the dyeing process, Sunbrella’s acrylic fibers typically hold color better than O’Bravia’s polyester fibers and they are also known for having an overall softer and smoother product.
- UV Protection: Both Sunbrella and O’Bravia fabrics offer UV protection. Sunbrella has been praised and recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation due to its engineered technology that blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays. O’Bravia utilizes UV stabilizers and has a protection rating of 50+ which will also protect you from damaging ultraviolet rays.
- Warranty: Both Sunbrella and O’Bravia fabrics offer warranties on their products. Sunbrella provides a 5-10 year warranty, while O’Bravia offers a 3-5 year warranty all dependent on which product you purchase.
- Eco-Friendliness: If an eco-friendly product is important to you, O’Bravia is the way to go. They boast a 100% recyclable high-performance fabric that can be broken down to produce products such as automotive interior parts, water filters, flowerpots, and more.
- Pricing: Sunbrella fabrics are much more expensive than O’Bravia’s, but with that extra cost you get an incredibly durable and trusted product with an excellent warranty.
Here is a patio umbrella that offers both Sunbrella and O’Bravia fabrics:
Ultimately, the choice between a Sunbrella or O’Bravia fabric is up to you! Personal preferences and budget will both heavily impact your final decision, but we highly recommend you take into consideration the various color options, overall durability, UV resistance, and aesthetic appeal as well.
Prices and availability may vary between different umbrellas. If you have any questions about purchasing your next patio umbrella, please give us a call at (800) 738-7229. We would love to help guide you in finding the perfect umbrella for your outdoor space!